Re: Potato now stable

On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 08:46:38AM +0200, Bas Zoetekouw wrote:
> Thus spake Colin Walters (walters@cis.ohio-state.edu):
>
> > I noticed the other day that recent versions of RedHat use something
> > called "Kudzu" (sp?) to do this.  When I took out the network card, it
> > warned me that some hardware was missing, and offered to change some
> > things to compensate.
>
> > Has anyone has looked into porting this to Debian?
>
> Currently, in Debian it is being used by sndconfig. It was written
> specifically for Redhat though and does some things (like editing
> /etc/conf.modules, linking devices in /dev/) which are probably not
> desirable in Debian. The detection part can probably be used, though.
>
> Mandrake, too, includes a hardware detection libarary (libdetect).
> Some time ago, Dan Helfman <witten@linux.ucla.edu> (Cc'ed him), was busy
> packaging it. Dan, have you had any luck yet adapting it to Debian?

Yup, libdetect required very little in the way of modification and works
fairly well on Debian. Harddrake (formerly "Lothar") is the GUI and
console interface for libdetect. It handles autodetection and
configuration. Harddrake did require some modifications to work with
Debian's modutils, and those patches have now been integrated into the
upstream source.

> When a hardware detection library is available, I think I'm going to
> rewrite sndconfig specifically for Debian instead of editing the Redhat
> package. Maybe a more general program, which can detect and configure
> various kinds of hardware, should be created though.

You might try playing with Harddrake to see if it suits Debian's needs
for this sort of thing. It has both Gtk and Newt interfaces.

And by the way, Harddrake also has a "kudzu mode" that can be called from
boot scripts. I haven't tried it out yet, but it's intended to do much
the same thing as Redhat's kudzu.

> --
> Kind regards,
> | Bas Zoetekouw                  | Si l'on sait exactement ce   |
> | zoetekw@phys.uu.nl             | bon le faire?                |
> | bas@medeia.dhs.org             |               Pablo Picasso  |

Dan Helfman
UCLA Linux Users Group: http://www.linux.ucla.edu