Re: Intent To Split: netbase

On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 05:55:38PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 09:54:28AM -0400, Chad Miller wrote:
> >> Hear, hear!  It would be a flag day for a few poorly written programs
> >> out there, but a reorg is worth it.
>
> > Then they're VERY poorly written.  The proper way (in posix sh) to invoke a
> > command that should be in the path (but look before you leap) is this:
>
> But I thought one of the main complaints was that /usr/sbin wasn't in the
> PATH.

Generally, maintainer scripts, and programs meant to be run by root, run as
root.

If a program expects to use some tool that only root would use, it should
expect to be running as root.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    America is at that awkward stage.  It's
Debian GNU/Linux                |    too late to work within the system, but