--without-docs option for dpkg

Package: dpkg
Version: 1.6.14
Severity: wishlist

Hallo,

I like to have dpkg only install the files that are
essential for the functionality, but no documentation, man
pages, info pages, and examples.

This would be useful for installing on a network, where
/usr/share/{doc,info,man}/ are NFS mounted.  Also it would
be useful for "embedded" systems, to save a lot of MBytes.

For example dpkg may have options like `--without-docs',
`--docs-only', `--remove-docs'.  I don't know what impact
this idea has on apt and debconf.

(BTW, some installers on Windows have these options, like
minimal/typical/customized/complete install - maybe dpkg
should support something like this, too.)

Cheers,
--
W. Borgert <debacle@debian.org>