Re: debconf vs. the sysadmin

On 03-Aug-00, 02:13 (CDT), Mark Brown <broonie@tardis.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 07:34:06PM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
>
> > We need to come up with some way to deal with this issue, or admit
> > that debconf is only useful and should only be used on initial package
> > install.
>
> One thing you can try to do is to have the debconf config script try to
> set itself up with the values in the configuration file and only update
> the bits of the configuration file it understands.

This is specifically discouraged in the debconf tutorial, and I
agree. It's not a general solution, since some packages will need to
generate the initial config file from a template, and the template won't
be available during the config stage. Yeah, there are ways to work
around it, but it becomes a huge kludge.

Steve