Re: bigloo

On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 05:11:43PM -0700, Craig Brozefsky wrote:
> I used to be the maintainer but stopped maintaining it due to lack of
> time and it was pulled from potato for some RC bugs, the libgc4-dev
> one included.

	One way I could help is to try to get the debs I made for
myself sometime way back cleaned up and pass them on to someone willing
to take them on. They were nowhere near as nasty as the pgcc debs I
rolled up back then. On the other hand, I still haven't gotten around
to finishing the manpage for runhugs because my *roff is rusty...

On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 05:11:43PM -0700, Craig Brozefsky wrote:
> The bigloo build process is very French, and the distribution process
> is very French too.  Meaning, it's done in it's own way, a hand-rolled
> autoconf system, a multi-stage build in a single gigantic tarball, and
> ships it's own slightly hacked copy of libgc.  The fact that it'sa
> compiler that nees to compile itself makes it all the more difficult.
> At the time I was maintaining it I had a P90 with 64 megs fo RAM that
> would take an hour to build it.

	I can probably handle the computational burden, and I'm used
to dealing with "research software" that ships sans autoconf, though I
suppose I'm more used to ones where they tell you to edit the makefile
than homebrew autoconf things.

On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 05:11:43PM -0700, Craig Brozefsky wrote:
> PS: No harm towards the French intended, just that INRA and the other
> french research centers seem to have their own way of doing things.  I
> don't mind because that same sensibility gave us an emacs clone in
> OCaml, which anyone can appreciate and love.

	I think that "doing it the French way" is definitely part
of the French national character, too. You can definitely see the
difference in the style of mathematical proof and in various tidbits of
cinema and literature.

Cheers,
Bill