Re: ITP: tclexpat

Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de> writes:

> On 27 Jul 2000, David N. Welton wrote:

> > tclExpat is a Tcl front-end to the expat XML parser.  Here is the
> > license:

> >  * Zveno Pty Ltd makes this software and associated documentation
> >  * available free of charge for any purpose.  You may make copies of
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >  * the software but you must include all of this notice on any copy.

> > So it should go in main.

Any purpose includes modifying it.  It includes, infact, *any*thing,
that's why he says "any":

From: Steve Ball <Steve.Ball@zveno.com>
Subject: Re: tclExpat License
To: "David N. Welton" <davidw@linuxcare.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 16:15:26 +1000

Dear David,

You wrote:

> Hi, I have a quick question about the license for tclExpat:
>
>  * Zveno Pty Ltd makes this software and associated documentation
>  * available free of charge for any purpose.  You may make copies
>  * of the software but you must include all of this notice on any copy.
>
> Does this include making derived works?  This is a fundamental thing
> for 'open source' software.

Yes, this would include derived works.  It's a "use it, abuse it,
don't blame me..." style license :-)

However, patches/improvements are *encouraged* to be submitted back
for inclusion in the original distribution.  This is not mandatory,
and there are several companies using TclXML for commercial, proprietary
systems right now.

Cheers,
Steve Ball

--
Steve Ball            |   Swish XML Editor    | Training & Seminars
Zveno Pty Ltd         |   Web Tcl Complete    |      XML XSL

Ciao,
--
David N. Welton, Responsabile Progetti Open Source, Linuxcare Italia spa
tel +39.049.8043411 fax +39.049.8043412 cel +39.348.2879508