Re: RMS comments: Gnome part of the GNU operating system.

Am Fre, 28 Jul 2000 10:22:10 Hamish Moffatt Sie:
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 11:41:03PM +0200, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 10:39:05PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > > (If you want to split hairs, then a bunch of basic things Linux
> > > needs to get running aren't supplied by GNU. Like init and
> > > a getty, for example.)
> >
> > init and getty are things GNU/Hurd doesn't use/need.
> > Coincidence ?
>
> Neither init or getty are Linuxisms. I think UNIX has
> always had them. What does GNU/Hurd use instead, and aren't
> they just the same with a different name?

I don't know what Thomasz was thinking, but of course we have our
own init and getty. They are included in the Hurd package, though,
and probably quite Hurd specific.

I was able to port linux init to the Hurd (sort-of), it wasn't too
hard. But the Hurd init does some extra things, and it is the one
that takes control first, and then passes things on to the Linux
init, which is the sysvinit.

Ultimatively, we want the do-it-all-except-coffee-init on the
Hurd with a different init scheme than sysv. Maybe this will be
portable.

Thanks,
Marcus