Bug addressing [was Re: About new fields in debian/control for bug reporting.]

> >   Bug-Submit-To: submit@bugs.debian.org
> >   Bug-Submit-To: quiet@bugs.debian.org
>
> This is a bad example, IMHO. I still maintain that the Bug-Submit-To
> field [...] should NOT include submit@ for the debbugs style of bug
> reporting. The bug reporter should be able to choose if she wants to
> report quiet, maintonly, etc. So for debbugs reporting, BST should
> just contain a hostname. Other Bug-Submit-Style:s have other
> reqirements (maintainer needs a full mail address).

OK, I think we need to hash out a way to specify how and where bugs
are sent to.  I've CC'ed the maintainers of bug and reportbug, in the
hopes that they have some insight.

The original proposal, by Wichert, was to have 2 fields:

  * Bugs-Submit-To
    An mailto URL to which bugs should be submitted. (It's a URL so
    we can support other types of BTSes at a later date if needed)
  * Bugs-Submit-Style
    Style in which submitted bugreports should be formatted. Currently
    the only option here is `debbugs'.

Then it was suggested that the two be combined into one.  For example:

  Bugs-Submit-URL: debbugs:bugs.debian.org
  Bugs-Submit-URL: mailto:buzz@lightyear.com

My question is, is this sufficient?  Do we see a single URL as
handling bug-submission needs in the foreseeable future, or do we need
to have other (arbitrary) Bugs-Submit-* parameters?

If we go with the URL, would it be easy to pass this URL to existing
bug submission tools and have them do the right thing?  If there were
a command that took the name of a package and returned a URL, would
the tools use it?

-itai