Making dpkg-gencontrol behave....

Folks,

I have run into a bit of a snag here....

I have a single source tree that generates 7 packages. One is a
set of runtime libs, the other 6 are (non-related but dependant)
executables....

I am using debhelper. Everything builds/installs fine, up until
debian/rules calls dh_gencontrol. Now, here's the rub:

If I put the package names (from control) in their respective
changelogs, dpkg-gencontrol barfs with "conflicting values";
the values in conflict being the package name and the source
tree name. If I put the source name in the changelogs, everything
builds correctly, except for the incorrect changelogs.

So, to my question:

Is there an dpkg-gencontrol option or other method to generate
the package control files from debian/control using the package
names instead of the source name in the changelogs?

And, even if I can, is this a Good Thing(tm)?

[R'ing TFMs didn't address this issue that I could find....]

The executable packages are NOT a part of the base source tree,
which is used to generate the libs package. However, they are
designed to be installed _in_the_same_source_tree_ in order to
compile. So, IMHO they are distinct programs that should have
their own namespace.

I can (and have) build the packages by hand, but I am looking to
automate the process as best I can to "be kind" to the porters. :^)

Any suggestions?

Cheers!
/ Clay Crouch, Shamless Bum ;^>    | <http://danno.tzo.com/~danno>   \
| Linux Administration/Consulting  | <danno@danno.tzo.com>           |
| Debian Package Maintainer        | <danno@debian.org>              |
|    "Away put your weapon; I mean you no harm." -- Master Yoda      |
| 1024D/7D2AD631: 2319 2356 FEDF 4631 63F3 762A E443 1C2A 7D2A D631  |