Re: new fields in debian/control

    Steve> On 19-Jul-00, 04:01 (CDT), Robert Bihlmeyer
    Steve> <robbe@orcus.priv.at> wrote:
    >> Barring all cryptographic details, I can imagine a VAR that
    >> could implement a micropayment scheme where a participating
    >> maintainer is paid for each bug-report solved to the
    >> satisfaction of the user (even if it is by just telling him
    >> /nicely/ what he has done wrong).

    Steve> I'm reminded of the Dilbert cartoon in which the PHB
    Steve> announces the developers will earn $10 for each bug
    Steve> fixed. There is much rejoicing. As they leave the room,
    Steve> Wally says "I'm going to go write myself a minivan."

    Steve> One must be careful that incentives are properly aimed.

Solution: punish the bad!

<evilplan>
Every maintainer who creates a bug in their package,
whether it is as serious as a speling mistake or as minor as an
exploit-root security hole should pay VAR $10. Additionally, any
undocumented bugs gets charged $10 more. [...insert more negative type
rules here...]. Anybody who fixes a bug should get back the $10, but
only if it is documented. Anybody who refuses to pay will be
immediately hired, but only if they pay within 1 week. Otherwise they
will be fired.
</evilplan>

Should be really interesting for unstable packages like Mozilla ;-)
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>