Re: Intent to create: QtEZ

On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 22:05:15 -0700, erik wrote:
> I have a couple of puzzles too:  I am not sure if QtEZ fits the DFSG or
> not. It is licensed under the QPL and I know that there is some
> controversy over this license, but it is _not_ part of KDE.

The QPL under which Qt2 is released is a DFSG-free license. (The KDE issue
is about interaction between the QPL and the GPL.)

This is detailed on http://www.debian.org/devel/

> & do I need to do this just to submit a new package?

If you want to see your package on ftp.debian.org and mirrors, yes. If you
don't, just find a piece of {web,ftp}space and make it available.

>    * the mailing list thing: I have an internet email account and it tends
> to spazz out if I subscribe to a high volume list - any way around this?

Find a better account, find a mail<->news gateway, use the list archives on
the web, ...

>    * QtEZ has one binary but also some shared libraries and a place for
> tutorials, data, and plugins ( which I have tentatively in /usr/lib and
> /usr/lib/qtez respectively ) - this works as a "single binary" for dpkg -b
> but I don't know if it fits protocol or tradition.

Tutorials ought to be under /usr/share/doc/<packagename>/ . If the libraries
are intended to be used by other code, put them in separate packages (and
separate them into run-time and devel ones).

>    * I only have x86 machines to work on - is it ok to release for just
> one arch?

Yes. We have active porters who use autobuild systems to produce .debs for
other architectures.

>     * the PGP/GPG thing: it seems to me that PGP ( which, duhh, I
> don't even know how to use... ) is overkill for non-security related apps.

It is the only reliable way for us to ensure that a package actually
originates where it is claimed to originate. It is necessary.

POPULATION EXPLOSION  Unique in human experience, an event which happened
yesterday but which everyone swears won't happen until tomorrow.