Re: ITP: codecommander

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 07:15:00PM +0200, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
> Why should I contact the upstream author? I normally only do this in case
> there
> is a severe bug in a package which I want to fix.
>
> Anyone can make a debian package and make it available somewhere. This does not
>
> mean an official developer can't package it. Let me know when you become a
> developer,
> I will be happy to give it back to you.

from /usr/doc/maint-guide/maint-guide.txt.gz lines 305 onwards:

        * you should contact program's author(s) to check if they agree
          with packaging it.  It is important to be able to consult with
          author(s) about the program in case of any program specific
          problems, so don't try to package unmaintained pieces of
          software.

It is useful to contact the upstream author before packaging to ensure
it is maintained, and that they agree to it being packaged.

--
Malcolm Parsons
finger malcolm@bits.bris.ac.uk for info