Re: IPv6 adoption

Eray Ozkural wrote:

> [...]

TCP/IP has always been dominated by EE types, while OSI has been
dominated
by management/marketing types, according to the most repeated
scuttlebutt.
CS is the intersection | union of these, depending on your point of
view.

> > Dynamic-sized addresses would twice requirements for routers CPU,
> > and they don't align well.

> Why not? the router's CPU wouldn't have much trouble decoding the address
> given the quite capable CPUs now... And if you want high capacity,
> go for parallel stuff, that's why we're trying to push more parallel
> prog. stuff. :) IMHO, thinking at
> the hardware level is not always the brightest way to approach a problem.

Current routers do not do things "in hardware", but in RAM, with the OS
loaded from Flash/EEPROM.  They are merely special-purpose computers.
If I recall accurately, the last Cisco 2500 I had open was based on
a 68030.  We're not forgetting the routing capabilities of Linux, are
we?

> I mean, EE people thought they could solve the speech recognition problem
> with a bunch of NN chips or some FFTs followed by a naive stochastics model...
> But where are they now? He he...

Hmmm...  So, anyway, with dynamic-sized addresses, you have to have
some way for the processor (program, not "chip") to know what the size
is, so you'd either have to send the size first, or have an 'End of
Size'
code, that would cut into your potential code space.  Seems inefficient.
Less processing needed = more packets put through.  Use your parallel
processing to push more packets through, less whatever is filtered out.

--
Bolan.Meek@wcom.com 972-729-5387
bolan@koyote.com (home phone on request)