Re: Please don't remove libc5 - old non-free software might need it!

Here's an idea: somehow setup a way to track packages proposed for
removal, and track downloads of said package for a period of, say, 6
months.  If demand is low during said six months, it gets removed.  Kind
of like Popularity contest (perhaps even inserting a Depends: on it...),
but either server side or a popup telling the user the importance of
registering the package due to the imminent death of it.  This might also
work in the case of entire distribution sets like non-free, so we don't
have people misrepresenting the wishes of the Debian user base.  I see the
protocol as: interested party brings the possibility of deletion up,
maintainer or other responsible party discusses for a short time, package
goes into "tracking mode", once tracking expires (a time period constant
throughout Debian), the decision is made with a reasonable certainty that
the user base concurs.

--
There is an old saying that if a million monkeys typed on a million
keyboards for a million years, eventually all the works of Shakespeare