Re: Please don't remove libc5 - old non-free software might need it!

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, David Starner wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 10:04:18PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> >
> > 	I've seen the two used interchangably.  As to why you don't
> > just say out the acronym, well, do you tend to say "IRC" or
> > "Internet Relay Chat"?
>
> But it's rarely "fear" and "uncertainty" _and_ "doubt". FUD's about the
> same level as HJP (Happiness, Joy and Pleasure), and I don't see people
> using - or needing - the word HJP, as one of them usually fits by itself,
> and multiples can be used where needed.

	Ah, yes, because you know 'HJP' rolls of the toungue so easily...

> > 	This is just simply not the case.  FUD actually turns out
> > to be much *more* useful because it can be used to describe more than
> > just 'a particular tactic used by droids of a company'.  FUD tactics
> > are nothing new and are common throughout history.
>
> What are FUD tactics? Are secret police a FUD tactic? If so, then
> I doesn't understand why it's useful to consider FUD tactics as a
> group. If it's not, then you're obviously not working from the
> claimed definition (of Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt).

	Secret police is certainly a FUD tactic.  Assassinations can
also be a FUD tactic.  Lawsuits can be intended to spread FUD.  FUD
together is actually something more than just 'uncertainty' and
'doubt', which is one of the reasons it's useful.  It's the fear that
is associated with such uncertainty and doubt that completes the set
and provides useful meaning over and above the individual terms.  'FD'
and 'FU' don't work so well, and may have other meanings which would
cause confusion.

		Stephen