Re: Please don't remove libc5 - old non-free software might need it!

On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 10:04:18PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, David Starner wrote:
>
> > by Gene Amdahl. If it is a general acroynm, it's pointless - why
> > don't you just say "fear", or say "uncertainty", or say "doubt"?
>
> 	I've seen the two used interchangably.  As to why you don't
> just say out the acronym, well, do you tend to say "IRC" or
> "Internet Relay Chat"?

But it's rarely "fear" and "uncertainty" _and_ "doubt". FUD's about the
same level as HJP (Happiness, Joy and Pleasure), and I don't see people
using - or needing - the word HJP, as one of them usually fits by itself,
and multiples can be used where needed.

> > If it describes a particular tactic used by droids of a company,
> > then it's a valuable word.
>
> 	This is just simply not the case.  FUD actually turns out
> to be much *more* useful because it can be used to describe more than
> just 'a particular tactic used by droids of a company'.  FUD tactics
> are nothing new and are common throughout history.

What are FUD tactics? Are secret police a FUD tactic? If so, then
I doesn't understand why it's useful to consider FUD tactics as a
group. If it's not, then you're obviously not working from the
claimed definition (of Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt).

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http/ftp: x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu