Re: Serial console and init

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rainer Clasen" <bj@zuto.de>
To: "Eray 'exa' Ozkural" <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr>
Cc: <debian-devel@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2000 10:11 PM
Subject: Re: Serial console and init

> On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 06:25:13PM +0300, Eray 'exa' Ozkural wrote:
> > However, I've had some trouble with init. I receive the kernel startup
> > messages all right, and the login also comes ok. But I can see
> > no output from INIT. I set the transfer rate to 38400 baud to avoid
conflicts
> > and declared a serial console on the inittab. It seems that the
> > INIT should be using the /dev/console and at 38400 baud. Anyhow,
> > the thing is that the serial console remains inactive between
> > the startup of INIT and the initial login prompt. How can I fix this?
>
> Are you sure, your /dev/console is set up propperly?

yes, it is the standard debian device in the base system and seems to be 5 1
which is the same as the one documented in the kernel source tree.

> otherwise remove /etc/ioctl.save. If you often change your console, you
> might consider making it a symlink to /dev/null.

I sure did that, just as advised in the serial-console.txt, but I didn't
find
much change. Perhaps sysvinit isn't quite what is documented. BTW, the
docs say not 38400 baud, but 9600 baud (contrary to kernel doc), but
even that doesn't seem to be the case. I made everything to work at
9600 baud, still I entertain the same problem.

I also tried to run down in "single" mode, but that didn't help either! I
suspect
that the sysvinit in Debian doesn't really use /dev/console, or does the
wrong
ioctls or something...

Thanks,

__