Re: IPv6 adoption

In article <cistron.20000711234453.B29155@tummy.com>,
Sean Reifschneider  <jafo-reginalug@tummy.com> wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 11:39:17PM -0600, Dwayne C . Litzenberger wrote:
>>Why are the IPv6 adoption predictions so grim?  I've heard 10-20 years for
>
>They decided that the actual utilization of IPv4 address-space wasn't
>nearly as bad as they had been saying, if they could make a little better
>use of it.  Plus, it's a chicken-and-egg thing -- nobody uses it because
>nobody uses it.
>
>>What can we do to get the IPv6 ball rolling?
>
>Convert everyone you know to using the 6Bone...

You should talk to the people who invent the mobile phone
standards to use IPv6. Last I heard is that they went to IANA and RIPE
to allocate millions of IPv4 IP addresses for UMTS phones.

If they start using IPv6, it will really take off. OTOH, if they start
using IPv4 addresses, we'll soon need to switch to IPv6 anyway..

Mike.