Re: init script config files

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> unfortunately, you're demonstrating the truism that "those who fail to
> learn from history are doomed to repeat it". we've been there, done
> that, and it was a bad idea. we moved on to something better.
>
> long ago, we used to have a file containing shell functions sourced
> by init.d scripts just like you suggest. that was the standard way
> of writing our init.d scripts. we got rid of it because it was a
> broken idea. like your suggestion, it was complicated and difficult to

Craig,

Please tell that to the LSB folks. They are (as of the stuff in their CVS
three hours ago) demanding just the "utility functions in a /usr bag" (which
is broken. Early init scripts can only rely on /bin, /sbin, /lib and /etc to
begin with) approach to be implemented.

Given that neither SuSE nor RedHat have seen the light yet, it's up to
Debian to make sure they are very aware that yes, it's been done before, and
no, it doesn't work.

  Henrique Holschuh