Re: developer signup?

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Josh Huber wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 01:55:08PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> > I'd say there should be no problem if you merely export a debian/
> > directory. If you actually start patching crypto and exporting the
> > patches, you may fall afoul.
>
> That's what I would hope :)

Uh.... I'm not so sure about this.  If you build a .deb that has crypto in
it, and then upload it to a non-US server (which you'll have to do), then
I believe that ITAR would consider that exporting crypto.  (I ran into the
same issue when trying to merely sponsor tinc and some other non-US
packages.)  After all, it's not writing crypto software that's illegal,
but the act of exporting.

Of course, the whole US crypto thing is ludicrous, but that's a different
story.

tony
(from the land of the not-so-free)

  tony@mancill.com         |  She who says, does not know.