developer signup?

I sent a request to become a developer in a few days ago -- what kind of
delay time should I be expecting before I get a response and the process
starts rolling.

Along the debian developer lines, I've got a couple of questions for you guys:

1) Since I'm in the US would it be possible for me to package something like
freeswan?  All the development is done overseas, but since the packaging
would be done here, would that count as re-exporting? (it would seem silly
to me, but I wouldn't be surprised :)

2) Is there more information on how to debconfize packages available?
Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place.

Thanks,

--
Josh