Re: Debian 2.2 Release.

Hi,

"Don't think it's needed" "JUST [emphasis mine (jwl@debian.org)] for
bug tracking"??

I dunno about you, but I think tracking bugs is one of the top 2 or 3 of
the most important things debian does. So, I take issue with anyone who
says "-just- bug tracking".

I think an origin field would be a very good thing for reasons already
stated. I agree with you that an origin field would have other applications.
However, such a change would necessarily require approval of most of
the developers.

We're probably in a pre-pre-pre vote stage; one thing needed to do some
convincing would be a development of a list of applications.

And, perhaps a vote wouldn't be so necessary if an origin field were made
optional, and less work on a maintainer by getting debhelper to automatically
come up with the field in a package.

-Jim

---
Jim Lynch       Finger for pgp key