Re: Debian 2.2 Release.

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 01:55:52PM -0700, Jim Lynch wrote:
> I think an origin field would be a very good thing for reasons already
> stated. I agree with you that an origin field would have other applications.
> However, such a change would necessarily require approval of most of
> the developers.

Let's stay within reasons, please.

An origin field for Debian packages can be generated automatically by
dpkg-dev scripts, there is no need for developers to change anything.[1]
On the next upload after they upgraded to the new dpkg package the
package would automatically carry the origin field.

It's a technical change, so it does not require a vote or expressed opinion
by the developers. The dpkg developers simply can decide to include such a
field.

Everytime the Origin field was discussed, it was considered to be a
wonderful idea. Nobody ever had any problems with it.

It's quite hard to achieve an Origin field which can't be forged, as this
requries package signing. However, that's an entirely different issue, and
was discussed at length in other threads.

Thanks,
Marcus

[1] The Origin field of all Debian packages would be the same, "The Debian
Project" or whatever. It's not dependant on the package.