Re: window-managers and GUI environments

On Mon, Jul 03, 2000 at 10:18:14PM -0700, S. Champ wrote:
> [ alternate subject-line:
> 	"the big ol' debian tree. : GUI node." ]
>

> hi.
>

> while i'm still working on getting debian installed, i'd like to look ahead to
> what options are available among the windowing environments.

I'm not sure but wouldn't X Windows be the windowing environment and
not each window manager?

Afterstep and sawfish are window managers, Gnome and KDE are desktop
environments that run in addition to a window manager.

Gnome uses gtk [http://www.gnome.org] [http://www.gtk.org]

> 	KDE (? uses Q? )
Qt.

> 	Afterstep (? is this still used by anyone? an analogue of it is heavily used in
> the ms-w community, under the name 'litestep' )

I've never heard of litestep but if the ms-w community uses it I
highly doubt it has anything to do with afterstep because ms-w is
pretty much a one desktop thing.

Afterstep is still being developed AFAIK, but I personally do not
like it as much as, say, WindowMaker.

> and i'd like to build some sort of a tree for helping folks to choose from among
> the options, and to install the chosen one(s).  (~~ external links, wget-lists,
> etc. )
>

> this'll take some doc-digging on my own, and may take some package-building if
> there are options that aren't yet *.deb'd , but i wanted to gather the comments
> >from the community, about it, and to pick up on what other options there may be
> for a linux GUI.

Debian seems to have a good selection of window managers.
Personally, I use sawfish (was called sawmill).  When I'm in the
eyecandy mood, I use Gnome with sawfish.

Don't forget the classic fvwm.

> thank you.
>

> -- s.c.

BTW, I think cross-posting on the debian lists is a no no...?

--
Pat Mahoney  <pat7@gmx.net>

For children with short attention spans: boomerangs that don't come back.