Re: Sound support on potato

At Wed, 07 Jun 2000 19:15:26 +0300,
Eray Ozkural <exa@ttnet.net.tr> wrote:

> > There's some confusion to be cleared up here.
> >
> > >    o esd: this program depends on alsa
> >
> > No it doesn't.  For esd to run there have to be some sound drivers
> > installed but these drivers can be either OSS or ALSA (or any other).
> >

> yep. esound -> oss, esound-alsa -> alsa right? I was confused because
> of dselect's stupid UI. I think it has a wrong idea about "suggests"
> thing.

Maybe, this is a dselect's limitation. Use apt's package handling.

> > >    o alsa: still we have the 0.4.x versions in potato. And may I remind you
> > > that 0.4.x versions are obsolete?
> >
> > Yes they are obsolete.  However, in order to release Debian it is
> > necessary to freeze versions at some point so that everything can
> > be made to work together.  It would be nice to upgrade to 0.5.x,
> > but this would break some sound packages because the ALSA API
> > and libraries changed from 0.4.x to 0.5.x.
> >

> Aren't they backward compatible in most cases?

In addition, 0.6.x is no full backward compatible.

> > > Is it a custom to make obsolete software to go in the "stable"
> > > version?
> >
> > For the reasons given above, yes.

The version was a stable when potato was just frozen, 6 months ago...

> > >      ii) if they require old versions of the libs, those libs could be maintained
> > >      in oldlibs section.
> >
> > True.  But what makes more sense is upgrade all ALSA-related sound packages
> > to the 0.5.x level.  When this is done, people can upgrade their whole
> > sound system to 0.5.x.  But this ypgrade hasn't been completed yet, SFAIK.

AFAIK, the packages are only freeamp in debian (this is done in upstream
latest beta version). Many software still depend on the old version.

> Yes, but holding back a device driver because a not-up-to-date program isn't
> working well isn't quite clever. I think most of the programs work all right,
> so what's the point here?

I think it is possible to upgrade 0.5.x in potato in technical reason
, but the problem is to upgrade packages in forzen time. Especially,
ALSA is extra package.

> Ahem, so there are binary up-to-date alsa packages in woody? That's very nice.
> I had to install alsa manually by making a bogus debian package for the 0.5.7

I have built these binaries for each kernel version manually.
Now I'm writing a script to build these modules automatically.