Re: sensible-x-terminal and x-terminal-emulator

On Sat, Jul 01, 2000 at 09:01:06PM +0200, Sebastian Rittau wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 30, 2000 at 12:54:06PM +0200, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> > Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@surfchem0.riken.go.jp> writes:
>
> > > Next, on condition that GNU libc supports 'de_DE' locale but doesn't
> > > support 'de', gettext should obey the locale behavior of libc.
>
> > It does make sense, since for the purpose of gettext, the region
> > specifiers are simply superflous. If all I care about is message
> > translation, the langauge is enough.
>
> No. Take for example the German language: Swiss German is spelled
> slightly different than "rest-of-the-world" German. In the English
> language it is even more obvious: There are difference between British
> and American English not only in spelling, but also in the words used.
> There may be other examples, where this is more important. What about
> the Spanish language?

wrong.

Languages don't border well together with country borders.
South Germans' speach is more similar to Austrians' that
to Berliners', for example.

Or in Norway. There are two languages/dialects, and one of them
is said to be more similar to Danish than to other one.

I think tag for choosing language should be more flexible than lang_COUNTRY.
And there should be some default for lone lang.
Choosing en usually means that one wants to hear English, not British :-).