Re: Debian Weekly News - June 27th, 2000

* "Hamish" == Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> wrote:

Hamish> In most cases, those .deb sources won't even care about
Hamish> packaging quality I'd guess.

Guesses.

The listing of a package can show if it is lintian clean (and the
lintian messages), and freshmeat entries can have comments, so users
can share their experiance with a package. Or warn if it is no
good. Also the archive would be managed by one or more people. It was
also spoken about authentication of uploads. (some thoughts from the
messages of the debian-freshmeat list that I remember).

Don't ask me about details, I don't have these messages any more, and
I am not one of the people behind this, but I see the use of this
archive.

You are aware of
http://www.internatif.org/bortzmeyer/debian/apt-sources/ ?

One big chunk of these are recompiles for Debian stable. Maybe the
package pool thingy will solve this some time in the future, but in
the meantime, the freshmeat archive looks like a working solution.

Ciao,
        Martin