Re: Debian 2.2 Release.

On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 08:15:17PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@beer.com> writes:
> > Will you claim than potato mozilla is less buggy than woody mozilla ???
>
> As it happens, the latest mozilla will not run unless it is run by
> root at least once.  It cannot even be packaged!  This is a bug that
> you would not have detected.

Can't-run or can't-be-packaged won't go even to unstable.

> > Will you claim than potato freeciv is less buggy than woody freeciv ???
>
> Yes, freeciv in potato works quite well.

Unless you want to play over net.
Then it don't work AT ALL.

And there were many bugs in 1.9 that upstream fixed in 1.10 and 1.11.

If potato will be released with freeciv 1.9
freeciv in unstable will be more stable than freeciv in stable.

> > If it needs much integrating, we can leave it for a while.
> > If it can work with existing Debian, and there is new STABLE,
> > we can upgrade it.
>
> OK, but that's not what you're saying.  You're saying we should insert
                                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> it into stable or frozen without sufficient testing.  By all means
  ^^^^^^^           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> upgrade it in unstable, but get off this stupid soapbox about
> decreasing the quality of our dist.

( Ever talked about inserting to stable ? )

If you were saying that after sufficent testing package could be
inserted to frozen, then I agree.

But currently there are NO such testings and NO way for package to go to frozen.

If frozen were 1-month, it wouldn't be much a problem.
But half-year frozen needs some non-bugfix updates.

For example, if new version of package was in unstable for 4 months,
and caused no problem, why not upgrade frozen's version to it ?
    (I am still talking about freeciv)