Re: Debian 2.2 Release.

Hi...

> Date:    Wed, 28 Jun 2000 05:05:42 +0200
> To:      debian-devel@lists.debian.org
> From:    Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@beer.com>
> Subject: Re: Debian 2.2 Release.
>
> I was talking about applications (see my list : mozilla, freeciv, gnumeric).
> They usually can't break anything but themself.
>
> I never said we should 100%ly trust stability of new
> kernel, exim, pppd, glibc or gcc.

Oh, I get it :) keep the -system- stable, but break the apps :) The apps
won't break the system... so let's introduce instability and distrust
in the apps in the name of having the newest thing.

How bout YOU maintain each and every such app? You can find out
how stable each app is, and take responsibility for all bugs found.

On second thought, don't. If you really intend to execute this plan
of yours, it would seem you would allow unchecked instabilities and
wait for others to test your apps to find them.

Frozen exists for a reason, to fix bugs in existing packages before
release. The "no new functionality into frozen" rule exists for the
same reason, plus we don't want to debug new crap while waiting for
release. "There is no such reason"?? If you are a maintainer, you have
more things to read and learn about.

I'm now starting to believe in a "trusted debian" dist, because if we
have it your way, this one will NOT be trusted.

-Jim, who likes STABILITY. Please don't compromise that with this plan.

---
Jim Lynch       Finger for pgp key
as Laney College CIS admin:  jim@laney.edu   http://www.laney.edu/~jim/
as Debian developer:         jwl@debian.org  http://www.debian.org/~jwl/