Re: Release-critical Bugreport for June 25, 2000

(bcc'ed to -release this time :)

For reference:

On Sun, Jun 25, 2000 at 06:21:11AM -0500, BugScan reporter wrote:
> Package: dvidvi (debian/main)
> Maintainer: David van Leeuwen <david@ElseWare.cistron.nl>
>   65051  dvidvi: depends on libc6 but doesn't declare a dependency
>   65052  dvidvi: No copyright notive that it is allowed to use this program

dvidvi has been like this since hamm (and before, although it didn't
depend on libc6 until hamm...). Since it's part of one of the task
packages (task-tetex), since the bug reports only arrived very recently,
and since these don't seem to cause major problems, this is likely to
wait until woody to be fixed.

> Package: emacs20 (debian/main)
> Maintainer: Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>
>   65208  Gnus broken by upgrade to 20.6-2

This doesn't seem likely to be fixed for potato, unfortunately, but
emacs20 won't be removed because of it.

> Package: gpm (debian/main)
> Maintainer: Zephaniah E. Hull <warp@whitestar.soark.net>
> [HELP] Fix needed. (RB)
>   65962  gpm: mouse-test locks up keyboard completely
>   65967  gpm: doesn't stop when switching to X

These bugs are very recently filed and *need* to be fixed or worked
around.

> Package: i18ndata (debian/main)
> Maintainer: Joel Klecker <debian-glibc@lists.debian.org>
> [HELP] Fix needed. (RB)
>   62173  i18ndata: Contains non-free file.
> Package: nscd (debian/main)
> Maintainer: Joel Klecker <debian-glibc@lists.debian.org>
>   58367  nscd: 'broken pipe' error causes entire box to be unusable
> [HELP] Fix needed. (RB)

These also seem unlikely to be fixed. I suspect i18ndata can't really be
removed (and the non-free file won't be removed from the glibc source,
either), so fixing this will have to wait 'til woody. On the other hand,
there doesn't seem any over-riding reason to not remove the nscd binaries
from potato.

> Package: pwgen (debian/main)
> Maintainer: Vincent Renardias <vincent@debian.org>
>   66006  pwgen: pwgen uses 'oo' letters in generated passwords too frequently

The rough consensus in the thread on this seemed to be that pwgen should
be removed for this bug. Since the problem seems to be that without the
--secure flag, the passwords are merely more insecure than you'd expect,
this doesn't entirely make sense to me, but still.

> Package: tetex-base (debian/main)
> Maintainer: teTeX maintainers <debian-tetex-maint@lists.debian.org>
>   65961  tetex-base/tetex-nonfree: serious license problems

As with dvidvi and i18ndata, this should definitely be fixed with woody,
and a fix would be nice for potato.

> Package: util-linux (debian/main)
> Maintainer: Vincent Renardias <vincent@debian.org>
> [HELP] Need fix. (RB)
>   60734  util-linux: hwclock starts too late
>   62688  hwclock sets the time incorrectly if RTC is in local time
>   64079  util-linux: mkswap's -v[01] option is broken

These bugs could do with fixing too, although a release could probably
be made without them.

A number of the other bugs in that report should be fixed after today's
changes to the archive, too. A number of other bugs will be fixed by
removing packages from the distribution.

Cheers,
aj (acting release manager)

                                      -- Dave Clark