Re: broken sysvinit?

On 24-Jun-00, 09:03 (CDT), "J.A. Bezemer" <costar@panic.et.tudelft.nl> wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Henrique M Holschuh wrote:
>
> > THAT is good news :-)  Someone please document that you have to wipe out
> > /tmp/.X* after the new X upgrade, while we still have time :-)
>
> Could you (or anyone else) please tell me what exactly is the problem here?
> I can add a last-minute note to the CD's top-level README if necessary.

After the upgrade from -6 to -8, my X server refused to start with the
message "X client socket directory has suspicious ownership, aborting"
(or something close to that; "suspicious ownership" is correct).  My
/tmp/.X11-unix directory had ownership root.daemon. After removing at
re-running the X server, it worked, and the (newly created) directory
has ownership root.root.

Steve