sensible-x-terminal and x-terminal-emulator

From: David Starner <dvdeug@x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu>
Subject: Re: 'editor' alternative policy?
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 13:38:10 -0500

> On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 02:03:15PM +0200, Jordi Mallach wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have not found anything regarding how to decide on the priority of the
> > "editor" alternative. I know there's something for x-window-manager, but I
> > don't think it's in the current policy yet. Is there a policy for editor?
> >
> > If there isn't, how should I decide my priority?
>
> I don't believe there is a policy, but glancing at /v/l/d/alt/editor and

Well, then, how about x-terminal-emulator?

I found recently that hanterm(X terminal emulator with Hangul support)
sets priority 30 as x-terminal-emulator whereas kterm (X terminal
emulator with Japanese support) sets 21.

krxvt (another X terminal emulator with Japanese support) sets 25
and xterm sets 20.

Is there any policy?

Okay it might be not so serious problem but I think that
update-alternatives can not handle these complicated situation
well any more.

Thanks for your great efforts, Debian now becomes the most
internationalized Linux distribution, I believe.

But it seems some mechanism of Debian does not advance at the
same rate.

Well, Debian provides us very sofisticated mechanism i.e.
sensible-pager and sensible-editor but, unfortunately, Debian
forgets the most basic one, that is, sensible-x-terminal.

If X terminal emulator is not selected correctly, sensible-pager
and/or sensible-editor will be almost meaningless and update-alternatives
does not provide an enough capability to handle this highly
internationalized Debian system, especially in the case of
x-terminal-emulator.

Please consider to provide us sensible-x-terminal as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance,		2000.6.21

--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>