Re: Why 2 inconsistent package managers frontents?

Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Jun 2000, Mircea Luca wrote:
>
> > I'm using Debian for some time now and have to say that the
> > inconsistency between apt-get and dselect is getting really
> > annoying .I mean it is a fact of life that you have to be running
> > the unstable for a home-desktop system to be in touch with the
>
> > latest software but at least I would think that one doesn't have to
> > do apt-get dist-upgrade AND apt-get dselect-upgrade to get everything
> > upgraded.
>
> Erm, you generally don't. Sometimes thought there can be temporary foo
> bars that need some human intervention, either through dselect or via
> 'apt-get install'

Just happened with tasksel and seen it about 4 times since last summer
when I started using potato.

> > I know that apt-get is very young and doesn't have all the features
> > that dselect have but honestly I hated dselect and it's
>
> Heh, it is actually about to celebrate it's 4th birthday. It does have all
> the non-gui features of dselect too, and about 4 front ends (gnome-apt,
> capt, aptitude and dselect). Take your pick of what you want to use.

I use the command line apt-get ,found it faster.:-)

> > clunky interface from day one and I think that at least the 2 databases
> > can be kept in sync on the apt-side since according to my experience
> > apt is the culprit here and unless one is a veeery determined Debian
>
> APT maintains it's own database. If you use dselect you must always
> perform [U]pgrade before doing anything, that is a dselectism.
>
> > still is rather annoying and hard to explain to somebody new on a Debian
> > layout why he/she have to use apt-get install package but have to type
> > dselect update or do a apt-get upgrade and apt-get dselect-upgrade
> > to have everything 100% in place.
>
> That is not generally the case. You are free to mix and match dselect/apt,
> you just have to run [U]pdate when you first load dselect. 'apt-get
> dselect-upgrade' is not really ment for use by anything other than the
> dselect method script, it is probably not entirely safe to run it.

As I said happend while potato was in unstable.maybe that was the
reason,
but still I will give as an example tasksel which was recent.If you
don't
type dselect update before trying to use tasksel tasksel will see only
the tasks installed already.The maintainer said that it's not a tasksel
issue so I would say it's one of those dslect -apt issues .

--
The best way to escape from a problem is to solve it.
     Alan Saporta