Why 2 inconsistent package managers frontents?

 Hi

I'm using Debian for some time now and have to say that the
inconsistency between apt-get and dselect is getting really
annoying .I mean it is a fact of life that you have to be running
the unstable for a home-desktop system to be in touch with the
latest software but at least I would think that one doesn't have to
do apt-get dist-upgrade AND apt-get dselect-upgrade to get everything
upgraded.
I know that apt-get is very young and doesn't have all the features
that dselect have but honestly I hated dselect and it's
clunky interface from day one and I think that at least the 2 databases
can be kept in sync on the apt-side since according to my experience
apt is the culprit here and unless one is a veeery determined Debian
user it will run screaming from dselect.:-) .
 I know that it's not such a huge problem and one can argue that it's
just easy to remember to type dselect update instead of apt-get but
still is rather annoying and hard to explain to somebody new on a Debian
layout why he/she have to use apt-get install package but have to type
dselect update or do a apt-get upgrade and apt-get dselect-upgrade
to have everything 100% in place.

 I apologize if this was discussed before but I didn't monitored this
list so closely until recently -since the non-free " war ".

--
The best way to escape from a problem is to solve it.
     Alan Saporta