Re: VMware on Debian

Petr Cech wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 18, 2000 at 02:51:07AM -0400 , Behan Webster wrote:
> > Has anyone put together a vmware installer for debian?  There seems to
> > be mention of such a beast on the kernel mailing list archives, but I
> > can't find out where I can get a copy of it.
>
> www.vmware.com

I'm looking for a .deb that takes the vmware .rpm/.tar.gz and installs
it as a .deb (much like the realplayer installer does).  What I'm
looking for is not available from www.vmware.com from what I can tell.
Unless you can point me to a URL?

> > I hate installing anything on my Debian box without using dpkg.
> >
> > Ideally I'd like a vmware.deb, but an installer from the .tar.gz or .rpm
> > would be great!
> >
> > If no-one has such a thing, I might just try to put one together.
>
> I don't know of any installer for this. Or any ITP.

I certainly can't find it, and yet it's mentioned on several web sites
(most are just mirrors however) such as the following (found from
google):

http://kt.linuxcare.com/debian-hurd/dh19990727_8.epl

	Elsewhere, Daniel Burrows announced that he'd cobbled together a Debian
	package that unpacked and installed the VMWare .tgz file (similar to
the
	method used by the StarOffice Debian package). In the course of
discussion,
	Marcus also gave a pointer to freemware, though the project had nothing
on its
	download page.

I just thought somebody here might have used this package.

I just found what is probably his email address.  I'll try emailing him
directly.

Behan.

--
Behan Webster     mailto:behanw@pobox.com