Re: VMware on Debian

Petr Cech wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 18, 2000 at 02:51:07AM -0400 , Behan Webster wrote:
> > Has anyone put together a vmware installer for debian?  There seems to
> > be mention of such a beast on the kernel mailing list archives, but I
> > can't find out where I can get a copy of it.
> www.vmware.com

I'm looking for a .deb that takes the vmware .rpm/.tar.gz and installs
it as a .deb (much like the realplayer installer does).  What I'm
looking for is not available from www.vmware.com from what I can tell.
Unless you can point me to a URL?

> > I hate installing anything on my Debian box without using dpkg.
> >
> > Ideally I'd like a vmware.deb, but an installer from the .tar.gz or .rpm
> > would be great!
> >
> > If no-one has such a thing, I might just try to put one together.
> I don't know of any installer for this. Or any ITP.

I certainly can't find it, and yet it's mentioned on several web sites
(most are just mirrors however) such as the following (found from

	Elsewhere, Daniel Burrows announced that he'd cobbled together a Debian
	package that unpacked and installed the VMWare .tgz file (similar to
	method used by the StarOffice Debian package). In the course of
	Marcus also gave a pointer to freemware, though the project had nothing
on its
	download page.

I just thought somebody here might have used this package.

I just found what is probably his email address.  I'll try emailing him

Behan Webster     mailto:behanw@pobox.com