Re: Release-critical Bugreport for June 16, 2000

On Sat, 17 Jun 2000, Josip Rodin wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 05:56:12PM -0400, Avijit Ghosh wrote:
> >
> > 	I (unfortunately) have the SiS6326 card at home on a Slink
> > machine. There is a single version of X (3.3.4 I believe, but I can check
> > when I get home if you'd like)  which runs properly w/ acceleration.
>
> Please do, so that the information in the Release Notes is precise.

	Will do, I'll send you the info either tonight or tomorrow
afternoon.

> IIRC (this was on a friend's machine) the debs shipped with slink didn't
> work at all, so I had to get the 3.3.4 debs slink-recompiled.

	Yea this was kind of annoying. Actually me buying a system because
xfree said the card was supported it and finding my screen look like the
consequences of bad acid was more annoying :(.  Unfortunately slow release
cycles and video cards coming out every 3 months don't mix too well (let
alone piece of $#$#$# video cards :) )

	I never had the font problem that you had, I am not sure why. I
definitely had font/cursor problems w/ other versions of X however
especially when turning on bits of acceleration (bitblt for instance).

> Yes. >:<
>
> This is with xserver-svga (i.e. XF86_SVGA) server, right? I have to verify.

	Yea its the XF86_SVGA driver. Btw.. you know what actually
would be cool would be if the slink binaries are compatible w/ potato to
just add the XF86_SVGA_3.3.4 server so people could at least get their
system running.  Or perhaps (if using up 1.4 megs of space for people
w/ a single video card is a bit stupid (this video card is unfortunately
pretty common it seems)), maybe we can stick it up on an ftp site
somewhere and just leave a note that the working debian package is
available at () but perhaps its a bit late in the game..

	-me