RFP: Eddie, mod_backhand
I don't have time nor does I want to maintain those packages but I'd like
to see them packaged [ i'd really like that someone takes a few hours to
package those instead of spending hours reading the non-free thread :-) ]
|Erlang Public License (DFSG compatible since Erlang is already in main)
|Apache style license (certainly DFSG compatible)
mod_backhand is an Apache module that allows to redirect some request to
other servers depending on various parameter like the load. That's why it
can be used as a load-balancing solution. You can choose which part of the
site needs to be load-balanced (eg only time consuming CGI scripts) by
adding some .htaccess files with special directives.
Eddie description taken from a doc found on the web site :
The Eddie team mission is to provide the tools which allow the
construction of mission critical internet sites providing a continual high
level of service focused upon the customer, attuned to the
needs of the service provider.
* The ability to create a truly distributed web server infrastructure.
Eddie supports web servers spread over multiple physical sites,
spread over many continents.
* Enhanced web server throughput. Eddie provides sophisticated load
balancing capabilities allowing full access to the entire capacity of
a distributed web server.
This in turn delivers:
- Increased revenue for web servers supporting e-commerce applications.
- Improved personnel productivity for web servers supporting work
* Performance optimisation. Eddie allows web administrators to dedicate
optimised machines to particular tasks, thereby maximising the
potential throughput of their distributed web server.
* Long term scalability. Eddie provides a natural growth path for a
distributed web server, while continuing to give users quality of
* User quality of service. Eddie ensures that users accessing a web
site receive rapid response to each and every jump to a new link
within the site for their entire interaction.
* Reliability. Eddie allows automatic detection of failed units within
the distributed server and automatic takeover of functionality by
* Flexibility. Eddie supports Solaris, Linux, FreeBSD and Windows NT,
and a range of third party web server software, including Apache.
Raphaël Hertzog -+- http://strasbourg.linuxfr.org/~raphael/