Re: xemacs fails to start - can't open UNIX socket

On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 12:51:39AM +0100, Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk> was heard to say:
> Yes.  I find that running the executable directly works.  It is
> /usr/bin/gnuclient.xemacs21 that has the problem.

<PEDANTIC>
  Actually, gnuclient.xemacs21 doesn't have a problem at all.  It's doing
exactly what it's supposed to do: connect to a running gnuserv and start a
new frame.  Unfortunately, you don't have a gnuclient running already, and
so it fails to connect.

  The problem is that gnuclient was set up as an alternative for xemacs,
which is simply wrong. [1] (since it is not xemacs and performs radically
differently, as you discovered :) )
</PEDANTIC>

  Daniel

  [1] It might be worth considering if gnuclient could be convinced to
     exec the "real" xemacs if it failed to connect to an already-running
     session.  This might actually be a useful feature in some cases..

--
/----------------- Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> -----------------\
|          This space         |        "...drums...drums in the deep!"        |