Re: Clarifications

On Sun, Jun 11, 2000 at 01:49:39AM -0400, James LewisMoss wrote:

>  David> You seem to deny that this is a major change, which apparenly
>  David> means you haven't been reading anything the other people
>  David> say. I find your position reprehesible - instead of leading by
>  David> example and removing your non-free packages from distribution
>  David> and trying to convince others to do the same, you would try
>  David> changing the rules to get your way. You then deny that your
>  David> change would have consequences and use double-talk - "it is no
>  David> more than miscellany", 'non-free packages could still use the
>  David> BTS' (paraphrase) - to convince people.
>
> This is uncalled for.  Attacking someone and calling them dishonest is
> not a good way to make anyone else actually listen to your arguments.
> I certainly won't read any more of your posts.

I tried to stay on the side of attacking his actions, rather than attacking
him. If I failed, then I'm sorry. But if the actions are dishonest, I see no
reason to avoid saying that. I still sincerly feel that
* he went about this the wrong way - trying for a de juro solution instead
of a de facto solution,
* he is on morally shaky ground, trying to prohibit an action he is currently
commiting,
* he is denying the consequences of this action, and
* he doesn't seem to be paying attention to what the other side is saying.

In retrospect, double-talk was probably unfair. The rest of it may
be harsh, but if I can't say "I think what you're doing is morally wrong",
why did you not complain when he said 'I think uploading non-free packages
to Debian is morally wrong'[0]?

[0] Not an exact quote; "it's [killing non-free on Debian's servers] the
right thing to do, morally.", the last point of his resolution, is.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http/ftp: x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu