Re: KDE questions

On Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 02:07:32AM +0200, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
> Basically, the only way out for Debian & KDE I see is: package what you can,
> and don't package what you can't, and try to improve the share you can package
> by gradually convincing developers that if they change their license, you'll
> be able to distribute their code. Maybe you could also discuss packaging code
> which was only written for the sole purpose to be run with KDE.
There is another way, thought I find it offensive - we could have kde-source
packages like we have qmail-source packages. The isn't fair to the
non-KDE programmers whose code has been taken by KDE and linked against Qt,
but it is probably a legal alternative to relicencing KDE or Qt.

What I would really like to see is someone like Corel or Suse fund an
LGPLed Qt clone so that they can legally distribute KDE. Someone will end
up sueing the distributors. I would certainly be very pissed off if someone
linked any of my GPLed code against Qt.

Ian  McKellar |    Email: yakk(a)yakk.net |    Web: http://www.yakk.net/
Area: +61 (8) | Home: 9389 9152 | Fax/Voice: 9260 2903 | Work: 9384 4700