John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:

> So what if Netscape is missing from unstable?  Users aren't running
> unstable, and developers are sufficiently mature to know how to deal

Demonstrably untrue. I know several users running unstable.

> > > Anyway, none of these are shipped with Debian now.  What is the harm
> > > in not shipping them on our FTP site?
> >
> > Because a) You can get CDs with non-free on then, which are useful,
>
> That would not change.

Yes it would - when I build CD images, I'd no longer have a non-free
section of the archive to make a non-free CD image from. I only
include non-free if people specificlaly ask for it, but if they ask,
then they get.

> > b)having them on the ftp site means people can get packaged-up
> > versions of the non-free software they need/want, knowing that it's
> > well-maintained and will integrate properly with their system, and
> > that any problems can be dealt with via the BTS.
>
> Having them on any other FTP site would mean the same, wouldn't it?

Much has been made of the "If people really want non-free they'll find
somewhere else to host it" argument. It's still going to be
inconvenient for developers, and users. And perhaps
non-free.debian.org would have problems getting donated the space,
bandwidth, etc., whereas at the moment, it's not using up a
significant proportion of ours. It also begins to look like the split
BSD-community too. My objection is that we'll end up looking like
fanatics if we do this. No longer will Debian be the Free Software
distribution for everyone.

Matthew

--
"At least you know where you are with Microsoft."
"True. I just wish I'd brought a paddle."