Re: Seconded, sponsored. (was Re: General Resolution: Removing non-free)

On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 03:15:43AM -0400, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Fabrice Gautier <gautier@email.enst.fr> writes:
>
> > On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 02:09:37AM -0400, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > >
> > > Are we allowed to remove things in main which are only used by
> > > non-free, and are no longer useful outside that context?
> >
> > Free Software are not prohibited to be used for comercial or non-free
> > use or private use. This Free Software being a library, old or not doesn't
> > matter.
> >
> > It's free software, it has been packaged, and is currently in
> > debian. Why would you want to remove it?
>
> Because it is unmaintained and unmaintainable.

If the package is free of RC bug it can stay in.

If it has RC bugs they need to be fixed by a maintener.

If there are not a maintener willing to take it or correct the RC bugs
so it may be removed. And if there are debian (free) packages
depending on it, they should be also removed - but this won't happen
because one of the maintener of those package will fix the bugs or
take it over..

And if I really need it i will either keep the old buggy package or do
something to keep it in Debian.

A+

--
Fabrice Gautier