On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 11:40:42AM -0500, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> In other words, Debian could end up being a *refuge* for non-free
> software, if many people's goals for free software come to pass and
> free distribution becomes the norm.

extremely unlikely.

the only other major distribution with a strong committment to free
software is likely to have that committment eroded over the next few
years as they become more corporatised and start wheeling and dealing
with proprietary software interests. i see this as being sad but
inevitable, it's the way business works...they are legally obliged to
look out for their shareholders' interests, even where those interests
conflict with the free software community's interests. so far there have
been no major conflicts of interest (at least that i am aware of), but
they will come.

> Is this what you mean to say?  If not, under what conditions do you
> think Debian could stop distributing non-free software?

when it gets to the point that nobody in debian could be bothered
creating or maintaining non-free packages because there is no value
in doing so, then we will stop. no need for any resolution to remove
non-free, that will happen of it's own accord when the time is right.

i.e. a process of painless evolution is preferable to destructive revolution.

the Right Way<tm> to remove non-free software from debian is NOT to
ban it, it is to work hard on free alternatives so that they can do
everything that non-free software can do (and more, and better).  Don't
waste your energy fighting non-free software, instead spend it on
creating and improving free software.

craig

--
craig sanders