Re: /usr/man -> /usr/share/man, etc

On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 09:10:29AM +0100, Richard Kettlewell wrote:

> One consequence of this was that the man pages for the new packages
> were unavailable, as slink's man(1) didn't know to look in
> /usr/share/man as well as /usr/man.
>
> Can someone tell me how this transition is supposed to work?

Modify /etc/manpath.conf adding:
MANDATORY_MANPATH                       /usr/share/man
MANDB_MAP       /usr/share/man          /var/cache/man/fhs
in the appropriate places.

> Why are
> there no package dependencies to ensure that it happens smoothly?

It wouldn't help.
It is true that newer man-db hold a tool that can upgrade that file, but
it is really a configuration issue: if you have heavyly personalized
that file, you need to do it by hand in any case.

fab