Re: profile.d [was Re: UMASK 002 or 022?]

On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 12:37:52PM +0300, Sami Haahtinen wrote:

> umm.. i see what you mean.. i was a bit confused when i tried to configure
> RH with the same way i configure my Debian.

its impossible, all redhat is good for is making linux as obfuscated
as WinNT...

> the reason i keep them in /etc/profile, is that when i need to add an
> alias, environment setting or anything.. i can change the whole system
> at once.. no need to 'find /home -name .profile' and edit by hand.

any root who runs around changing *MY* .profile files is going to to
get a very swift kick in the ass.

why should you be changing preferences for all users like this?  i
don't understand this at all.

> why not use /etc/environment for the envirnment then? why to use
> /etc/profile at all? /etc/profile is for setting system wide settings
> if i host many beginners on my machine i do like to set the alias for
> ls globally. also if i need to override some command with local command
> i could use alias.

setting up non-standard aliases for newbie users is doing them a
disservice, what happens when they go to use a real *nix box?  they
will be totally lost, i learned *nix with a standardized setup and
as a result can use Digital Unix, SunOS, Solaris, Linux, BSD etc
encountering very few `gotchas' if a had learned `ll' instead of ls -l
i would be screwed on all above mentioned systems.  now that i know
*nix i add some aliases like `ll' for my own convenience, but i still
know how to use things the correct way.

don't be like MS and try to `protect' your new users, instead teach
them things as they are, keep thier knowledge `portable' !

> as i see it, some aliases, and commands are supposed to be in the system
> wide settings.

IMO a better way to add new system wide commands is /usr/local/bin no
silly csh/zsh/sh/ash/bash/ksh incompatibilites to deal with that way.

perhaps for SOME systems a way to modify all shells without editing
all thier files may be a useful thing, i however think such a solution
should be locally designed to work best there.  adding a debian
version of /etc/profile.d and the resulting packages fscking with
everyones environment in screwy ways is a horrible idea.

and yes i had several packages that when installed dropped crap in
profile.d and the other hidden version (that i can't find) thus
screwing up everyones environment, nearly imposssible to trace down.

the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

(BTW, how is editing 3 dozen files in /etc/profile.d any easier then
editing the handful of shellrc files in /etc?)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/