Sudhakar Chandra <thaths@netscape.com> writes:

> > forth the following observations: 1) it will almost certainly be ready
> > by the time woody is released (in about 2 years, of the potato time is
> > any guide); and 2) using one program to justify the continued support
> > of all current non-free programs is a weak argument at best.
>
> What if there is a set of programs that become vital but are non-free in
> the future?  I'd consider something like rvplayer important for any Linux
> desktop.

Debian will not ship with them, and never has.  And if I have anything
to do with it, never will be.  This proposal does not effect the
distribution.

> > 5. The existance of the non-free section is being used as a cop-out by
> > those that seek to peddle non-free wares.
>
> I thought the goal of Debian was to produce the best operating system
> possible.  I did not know a Jihad against non-free software was the goal.
> I always interpreted the Social Contract to have a tone that was 'Live and
> Let Live' and not 'Live Free or Die'.

You are right, but these are not mutually exclusive.  We can let
people use non-free software on our dist if they want.  We can even
point it to them if we want.  I don't want us to distribute it.