Le Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 10:17:18PM -0500, John Goerzen écrivait:
> 1. Non-free software is no longer an essential or standard part of a
> typical installation.
>
> Whereas at one time, most everyone used non-free software such as
> Netscape for web browsing, acroread for PDF reading, or xv for graphic
> viewing, there are quality free replacements for all of these
> programs.  Therefore, the rationale of "we need non-free for usable
> standard system" no longer applies.

This may no longer apply for those software but there are probably other
area where there's not yet good free replacements. I have in mind
biological software where I heard that (Stéphane Bortzmeyer may tell us more).

BTW, AFAIK Mozilla doesn't support https yet, and I *need* https support
(no lynx-ssl doesn't go since I need javascript & frame too). :-) Is there
something going for https support in Mozilla ?

If really we wanted to remove non-free section, I guess that we should
remove it from the standard dist but we should keep it on a apt repository
on nonfree.debian.org or something like that. Just because some of our
user may prefer the non-free program to the free replacement... and if
there's a developer volunteering to maintain the package it's really
stupid to forbid him ...

Cheers,