Re: Should we divide Debian to usable and unusable

On Sun, 4 Jun 2000, Sami Haahtinen wrote:

> I've seen many unusable programs be announced as ITP, what use is it
> for the normal user to have something that you cannot use.
>
> Yes, i use Mozilla, which is considered mostly unusable, and many other
> developement softwares.
>
> although..
> we have 1371 pre 1.0 packages, against 5309 packages total..
> (approx 25%)
>
> ofcourse, these are according my apt sources, and these may vary. but
> still as 1.0 is generally referred as the first public release. these
> figures should (on the public release) be much lower.

   I don't follow this naming convention, and I don't feel all of my
programs should be looked at differently just because we differ on how
we number the versions!  Maybe a Program-Version-Numbering-HOWTO or faq is
in order here, but I know many people differ on how they do this.

> i also know that some 50% of this software is generally seen as stable
> and usable, but for a newcomer it's not that clear.
>
> while watching the announcements on Freshmeat we see a LOT of 0.0.0Alpha
> releases which shouldn't be announced at all. same here, IMHO anyone
> can make a package of main(){} but it should be kept as a private apt
> source and it should be used from there.. and not uploaded to the main
> archives and just comment it as,

   I think debian developers need to use their judgment as to what is
worth uploading and what isn't.  Since this is different in each case,
each single developer responsible for each package can make that decision.
I just think that your 0.x.x numbering method of rating these packages is
not a reasonable method to measure the usefulness and quality of
software.

   Adam