Re: Upgrade docs and Release Notes (was Re: Starting second test cycle)

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Stephen R. Gore wrote:

> Josip Rodin wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 10:55:24PM +0200, J.A. Bezemer wrote:
> > > I know you can upgrade by mounting each CD consequtively etc.  That's the
> > > way 2.0->2.1 was done. You can also upgrade by dpkg -i
> > > /cdrom/dists/potato/main/binary-i386/xxx/yyy.deb for each and every
> > > package, which is just slightly more horrible.
> >
> > No, it's not, don't overexaggerate. The CDs I had were selfconsistent, so
> > it was quite painless. My memory may be deceiving me, but I honestly don't
> > remember having to do anything awkward to get that upgrade done.
>
> Has anyone tried the dpkg-multicd method wrt upgrading slink->potato?

I haven't, and I don't want to try either. Since it doesn't do dependency
ordering during _install_, it may (Murphy: will) break your system if anything
fails halfway through.

> IIRC, this was the preferred method of installing slink from CD.  I

Yep, it was a "temporary hack" to do installs, not upgrades. Simply because we
didn't have apt-cdrom back then. Apt currently does a much much better job in
practically every aspect (because it was designed that way ;-).

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer