Re: RfD: documentation for statically assigned uid and gid

On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 07:44:03PM +0000, Marc Haber wrote:
> mail:x:8:
> mailbox spool directories belong to group mail, MUA software runs setgid
> mail. This makes dot locking possible.

...because of g+w permission on /var/spool/mail directory.

> Also, mailboxes must be writeable by group mail (Policy Manual,,
> 5.6).

Can someone tell me why is this required?

FWIW my $MAIL is mode 600 and it works just fine. Other users' mailboxes
on the system are 640 and they also all seem to work fine (at least nobody
has complained).